Important Updates Regarding the 2020 Version of the Civics Test

Beginning on April 19, 2021, USCIS is administering only the 2008 civics test to N-400 applicants at their initial interview appointment, regardless of their filing date. USCIS will no longer offer the 2020 civics test at the initial interview, but will continue to provide study materials for the 2020 test for those applicants who are eligible to choose between the 2008 or 2020 civics test at their re-exam or N-336 hearing.


During the test, USCIS officer will ask you up to 10 questions from the list of 100 questions in English. You must answer correctly 6 of the 10 questions to pass the test.


The actual civics test is NOT a multiple-choice test. It’s an oral test where an officer verbally asks you questions.

Have you ever been married, divorced, widowed, or had your name legally changed?

If yes, bring a copy of your marriage certificate, your divorce or annulment decree, or the death certificate of your former spouse to your naturalization interview. If you changed your name through a court, bring a copy of the court decree that legally changed your name. Also, if your current spouse was married before, bring evidence of the termination of your spouse’s prior marriage(s). Failing to show proof of your current marital status or legal name may delay your case.

Have you EVER been arrested, detained, or cited by the police or any other law enforcement officer?

If yes, bring documents that show the court disposition of the case to your interview. These documents show the final outcome of the case and are required for all arrests and detentions, including expunged records and plea bargains. If you were put on probation,
bring evidence that you completed your probation. Failing
to provide original or certified copies of court disposition documents could delay your case. Please note that uncertified photocopies are not acceptable.

Have you traveled outside the United States since becoming a permanent resident?

If yes, you need to show all foreign travel during the last five years as a permanent resident. Even if you have not traveled outside the United States since becoming a permanent resident, you should bring all of your valid and expired passports and any travel documents issued by USCIS to your naturalization interview. If you do not bring your passport(s) and other documents to your interview, your case could be delayed.

Have you reported your income on your income tax forms?

Your tax returns are very important proof that you are eligible for naturalization. On the day of your interview, bring certified tax returns for the last 5 years (3 years if you are married to a U.S. citizen). Certified tax transcripts may be ordered by using Internal
Revenue Service (IRS) Form 4506-T available at or calling 1-800-829-1040.

Are you eligible for a disability waiver or age-based exemption?

You may not need to take the English and civics portions of the naturalization test if you have a medical disability that prevents you from demonstrating knowledge
of English or civics.To apply for this
exemption, your doctor must complete Form N-648, Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions. The best time to submit this form is with your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. If you do not submit your Form N-648 with your Form N-400, you are allowed to submit it
to the USCIS officer at your interview, but this may delay your case. For information on how to fill out Form N-648, your doctor should visit

about us